“there’s A Fellow by the name of Rowan...”
It was 1899. President William McKinley needed to deliver an urgent message to
General Calixto Garcia, the leader of the insurgents in America’s war against Spain.
But Garcia was lost somewhere deep inside the mountain vastness of Cuba.
“There’s a fellow by the name of Rowan who will find Garcia if anyone can,”
someone told the president. So McKinley summoned Colonel Andrew Rowan.
Rowan took McKinley’s letter, “sealed it in an oil-skin pouch, strapped it over his heart, in four days landed by night off the coast of Cuba from an open boat,
disappeared into the jungle and in three weeks came out on the other side of the island, having traversed a hostile country on foot, and delivered his letter to Garcia.” Notice that Rowan didn’t equivocate. He didn’t ask McKinley for detailed instructions. He didn’t hire a consultant or assemble a task force. He simply took the letter
and delivered it to Garcia.
When I read this I contemplated how loyal am I? Am I loyal to my employer, friends, family, wife, church, and to God? I want to become "Rowan" and want to be that person that doesn't ask question and just goes and do. I desire to be the one who can be depended upon. Most of all I hope that God does not have to ever question my loyalty. A question that could be asked on a daily basis is where does my heart lie?
No comments:
Post a Comment