As
I think back on life back at home I often think of the memories I had
with my older brother. Why these experiences stick out to me so much I
don't know, but the lesson I learned from him were very profound. The
summer of 2007 my brother and I and a couple of our friends went down to
Magic Mountain, a theme park in the L.A. area of California. We had a
full day of fun and exciting things to do. When the day was winding down
it was time for us to leave. As we left the front entrance my brother
stopped and told us to wait there. He then walked back to the gates
where you pay and started to talk to some of the Six Flags employees at
the front gate. I really had know clue what he was doing. About 5
minutes later he came back and told us what he had just done. A couple
years back my brother went to Six Flags with his best friends family.
Somehow he cheated the system and didn't pay. It made him feel guilty
all these years and he knew that it was not honest of him to do. This is
the reason why he went back to talk to the staff. The staff thought he
was crazy and even laughed at him when he told them his story and about
how he wanted to pay them back in full. They got someone higher up in
authority at the theme park and my brother gave him the money. At the
time I thought he was crazy, and at that stage of my life I wouldn't let
something like that bug me. I would of justified my dishonesty on their
high prices. I didn't understand the true meaning of honesty.
An honest person is trustworthy, tells the truth, keeps promises, and
people can depend on them. We need to be honest no matter how small or
how big the situation is. The honesty of a person reveals much about
them. Can I say now at this time in my life that I can be entrusted with
something of great importance? Am I honest with my family, friends,
employers, colleagues, myself, and the Lord? Dishonesty can destroy our
relationships with others. The more we are dishonest the more
conditioned and prone we are to be a dishonest person.
"Being honest often requires courage and sacrifice, especially when
others try to persuade us to justify dishonest behavior. If we find
ourselves in such a situation, we can remember that the lasting peace
that comes from being honest is more valuable than the momentary relief
of following the crowd". See True to the Faith (2004), 84 I will see a greater light, peace, and confidence in my life when I can say, "I am an honest person". If I get noticed for anything in life I want it to be because of my integrity.
My brother John
My Life Portfolio
Code of Conduct
“I will never”
1. I will never take advantage of my co-workers or my employer.
2. I will never cut corners. Do the job right and get done.
3. I will never fudge numbers.
4. I will never lower my standards.
5. I will never take credit for work that I did not do.
6. I will never work below what is required of me.
“I will always”
1. I will always be honest with my dealings with my fellow man.
2. I will always be nice and upfront with those I work with.
3. I will always do my best work even if only God can notice it.
4. I will always be dependable.
5. I will always be professional in the work place.
6. I will always give an honest accounting of money that I am entrusted with.

No comments:
Post a Comment