I have thought long and hard about the person that I want to become. I thought of what kind of job I could have, or what kind of family that I would raise. How might I become who I desire to be. I will not be able to see into my future, gather up all the information of mistakes that I have made, and simply make a list of want not to do's. What I can do is set a goal of who I desire to become, put it on paper and work at it, and work at until I am gone. I am convinced that progression can only happen when one reflects and records what they have done. This recording will be considered my Personal Constitution. It is a list of things that I desire to obtain both physically and spiritually. This list will never be finished completely, for I will constantly be changing and adding goals to it. As I was looking up definition of what a constitution is I came across this little quote that I thought was interesting, "So think of a constitution as how a body
(yours, the government's) is set up. If you have a strong constitution,
it means you don't get sick very often." If I abide by my personal constitution and strive to achieve the goals that are within it I will have a strong foundation to live my life upon.
Here is my most current Personal Constitution.
Personal
Constitution
I want to become a better disciple
of Jesus Christ. There really shouldn’t be any question why this is on the top
of my list. This is what governs the outcome of everything else in my personal
constitution. My success in life depends on this. I can acknowledge the fact
that no man has obtain perfection at just one moment, but will take the
eternities until one arrives at that moment. The Savior was and is perfect. He
is the master teacher and the greatest example. I want to become more like him.
I can do this by becoming a better disciple. A disciple is a
follower and student of a mentor or teacher. What better way of being a student
than to take on the traits of the teacher you look up to. When I say that I
want to become a better disciple of Jesus Christ I’m not just talking about
acquiring His attributes, but it’s my desire to become more loyal. In President
Henry B. Eryings words I want my “banner to be clear” when it comes to where I
stand with the Lord. Serving is another way I can come to know the Savior and
become more like him.
If I truly love God and if I am a
disciple of Jesus Christ I will live a life of service. I want to be able to
come to the point where I have master my thoughts, that serving Gods children
is the first and foremost thought in my mind. I want to direct my prayers
towards others. I want to pray on a daily basis to be able to have my eyes open
to opportunities to help those who are in need. I know that the greatest
happiness come from uplifting those around me. By doing these things I know
that it will build up the relationships that I have with my family. This is
best achieved when I correct and get my life in order, so I am focusing more
time on others rather on myself.
This is one of my greatest desires
to be a master of self-mastery or to be self-disciplined. I want to have
complete power over all my appetites and passions. I will do those things that
will uplift me spiritually such as daily prayer and scripture study. I will
learn from mistakes and become stronger from them. I will get to bed at a
decent time and wake up early in the morning to get the most out of my day. I
will be productive and use my time wisely. I will live a life of discipline both physically and
spiritually.
I don’t want to live life
carelessly or live from day to day. Living a life day to day is one wasted. I
want to be a person who is driven by setting goals and achieving them. Goals
give direction in a life where no road signs are visible. I want to be able to
have the power to set goals and actually consistently try to make these goals a
reality.
I want to become better at
portraying myself when I speak with others or a more effective communicator. I
will constantly work on becoming a more effective communicator by listening to
others as much as I speak. I will practice by getting out of my comfort zone
and speaking with those around me.
I want to never settle with what I
know now, but live a life of learning. I will be teachable no mater where the
learning experience comes from. I will share my knowledge with others freely. I
will seek after knowledge through reading the best books. I will study daily
from the scriptures and other church literature. I will not settle with
learning things that are in my field of work, but have a very diverse plate of
knowledge. May I strive for excellence and learn as much as I can in this life,
so that I may develop a pattern of learning throughout the eternities.
I will have confidence in my ability to succeed and become
something. I need to remember this scripture found in Ether 12:27 it reads, “ And if men come unto me I will show unto them their
weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is
sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble
themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become
strong unto them.”
No comments:
Post a Comment